Sunday, October 6, 2013

Joanne Shaw Taylor Interview June 2009

 
                                                               
 
 
 
 
 
                                                Joanne Shaw Taylor
 
                                                           The Gift 

                                           Blues From the Black Country



 

Joanne Shaw Taylor is a stone prodigy who has taken the blues to another level. She has toured with the Eurythmics leader and resident genius Dave Stewart and earned her stripes through constant touring with some of the greatest musicians in the world including Mudbone, Jimmy Cliff and Candy Dulpher (Prince) as well as the aforementioned Stewart. She performs regularly at a club owned by Roy Wood (the Move) and Noddy Holder (Slade). She grew up in the Midlands, a part of England that has a ferocious musical reputation that is favorably compared to Detroit, rock city of the world. Joanne is somewhat shy and a bit cautious yet we hit it off nicely during a brief interlude before the show at Whites Bar. We had some coffee and a bite to eat. She seemed to size me up, quietly.  Later that evening I  listened to her opening song and I knew immediatelyshes got the gift

 

When did you first pick up the guitar?

I began taking classical lessons at my school when I was about 8 years old. My father and brother both played so there were always guitars around the house to strum. I was probably about 4 when i first picked one up but it wasn't till a little later that I really started to play. I started playing electric when I was 13 after getting in to the Blues Via Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert Collins.

Do you feel that growing up in The Midlands the industrial blight of the Black Country with all of the attendant racial and ethnic conflict provides the necessary conditions for creativity in music and the arts?

I don't think I was ever really that aware of it growing up to be honest. I think Birmingham and the Black Countrys rich musical history had more of an Influence on me than anything, Bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, ELO and Slade. I like to think of it as the Rock City of England.

Your home seems to have a similar spirit as Detroit, Chicago and Memphis where blacks and whites, despite racial tensions joined together to create incendiary forms of music. Do you share a sense of that experience?

Yes I think so, This will be my first visit to Detroit needless to say It's somewhere I've been eager to visit for some time. There's certainly a similar spirit to the cities you've mentioned, The music scene here is less grounded in the Blues obviously than Chicago or Memphis.

As a girl from the Black Country you must have heard about Roy Wood and the Move. Did Wood leave a powerful legacy from his rocker days?  Did Wood or the Move influence you?

I wouldn't say he influenced me directly The Move obviously had most of their hits before I was born. That said his presence is still felt on the Local music scene. He and Noddy Holder (Slade) actually co-owns the best Club in the Midlands, The Robin 2. I play there frequently.

How was it that you were discovered at the tender age of 16 by rock icon Dave Stewart? What was it like for you to pass the audition, so to speak?

I did a charity show in aid of Breast cancer awareness in Birmingham organized by the band UB40. One of Dave's close friends was there and he passed along a demo to Dave who phoned me the next day and invited me to London. I remember sitting in Dave's Kitchen and playing him a slow blues song while he filmed it because he wanted to show it to Quincy Jones. Luckily being only 16 at the time I don't think I realized the gravity of the situation and was just glad to be out of school.

The quote from Stewart …”last year I heard something I thought I would never heara British White Girl playing blues guitar so deep and passionately it made the hairs on the back of my head stand on end”…is that hard to live up to? Pressure to be perfect?

(Laughing) I never thought of it like that until you mentioned it!. I don't think that comment was ever a "burden" obviously it's been quoted heavily in any press i've had but i always just took it as a wonderful compliment. Obviously i was very young when dave made that comment (16) so I knew I had a lot of growing still to do as a guitarist and musician in general but was just pleased that I had such a talented and established musician offering me encouragement.

It must have been a daunting task to perform with seasoned pros like Mudbone, Stewart, Candy Dulpher (Prince) and Jimmy Cliff in D.U.P. How long were you with them? What was the D.U.P. tour like for you?What did you learn from that experience?

I toured with D.U.P on and off for about a year. That was an incredible experience to have at any stage of your career but to be 17 and touring Europe with that many diverse and talented artists was a huge blessing. I learnt so much and they were a great bunch of personalities to work with. I think the main thing at that period in time was that I was being encouraged and receiving advice from as you say seasoned pros.  Working with Dave, the thing he installed in me the most was the importance of working on becoming a songwriter and singer as well as a guitar player, that those two crafts were equally important in Blues as the big guitar solo.

 

 

What was it like to record your CD White Sugar with Jim Gaines, a legendary producer who had worked with one of your idols Stevie Ray Vaughn?

That was fantastic, Jim was someone I've been wanting to work with for years - as you mentioned he produced many of the first Blues artists I heard about including Albert Collins, SRV and Luther Allison. Jim was always my first choice of producer to work with and I think we worked together really well, He had some great ideas regarding some of the song arrangements and about different guitar tones.

Did gains teach you anything new about creating sounds or recording in general?

He was really helpful with the guitar tones. Obviously over the years he's worked with some of the genre's best players and he's picked up quite a few tricks. I spent quite a lot of time in the studio harassing him to tell me stories about Albert Collins Amps setup etc

 

Ive listened to several of your songs and I was struck by the stunning sound of Going Home that big full bodied sound you create with your Telecaster. Your melodic and powerful notation is reminiscent of late sixties Peter Green. Going Home could have fit nicely on Then Play On as a companion to his masterpiece Oh Well. Do you hear the connection? Was it a conscious tribute?

I can't say as I ever heard the connection to be honest  so I can't say it was a conscious one. I am a big Peter Green fan.  I love his version of Freddie King's "Same old Blues". "Oh Well" is one of my favorite Blues/Rock tracks I'd probably record it if Kenny Wayne Shepherd hadn't already beaten me to it.

 I dont mean to push the early Fleetwood Mac angle to far but I swear that  your tuneful Black Country electric folk pickin on Just Another Word reminds me of those sweet sepia tones of Danny Kirwin with just a touch of vibrato. Are you familiar with Kirwins work?

I'm afraid I'm not actually that familiar with his work.

I love your sensual smoky singing. Were you inspired by anyone in particular?

Well firstly thank you very much, Early on I was a huge Janis fan, then Dusty Springfield, Etta James. I would love to be able to sound like Mavis Staples but most of my singing practice is just trial by error. 10 years of singing in smokey Blues clubs has given me a little bit of rasp.\

Have you released White Sugar in the U. S.

Yes it was released on May 12th

 
This is a tough market to crack especially for blues artists (typically our blues cats do better overseas than in the United States). Do you have a strategy to awaken this sleepy giant from its musical torpor?

I've heard the U.S. is a tough scene to break into. Obviously given its history with the Blues it's a big desire of mine to be able to tour here consistently. No strategy as such, Right now I'm just focusing on putting on a good show that said I would love to break into the festival scene over here. You've got some of the best Blues Festivals in the world.

Any last comments

Just to thank people for their continued support and I hope you like the album, Keep supporting the BLUES!

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment